My passion in life

My passion in life

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Student Teaching/Life


So I have officially slacked when it comes to writing about what has been happening in my life. Since the last post when I graduated from college it has been a real roller coaster with what has happened and everything. Since that point I have moved down to Mesa Arizona where I have begun my student teaching. When I first arrived down here in Mesa I was really excited to start. It was hard to sit around and not doing anything for the first week or so. Once school started things took off and the teaching was awesome. I have begun to really love it and I have begun to realize that I have had the desire to teach all of my life and right now I am so close to having that dream job that everyone talks about having.

I have been involved with teaching for almost two months now and I am at the point where I am teaching about every day and I will soon be teaching a full chapter for two of the periods (hours) of the day. I have some great activities and some great plans to teach them. The unit will be on applying percent and there will be a lot of real life examples that I can put in it. This past Friday was the last day of the quarter so we will have the week off all next week. I was able to do a fun activity to really help the students see how math is connected and how we can look at the things we teach them in so many different ways. It has been eye opening to really see those kids that care and that are really grasping the things that we have taught them. I know that I am in the right profession and that I am doing everything that I want to do in life. The bus ride to the school is always fun too. I have made some acquaintances as well. We talk about things on the ride to class and I am known on the bus as "Mr. Lowe" because I have to wear a name tag and they have never learned my first name.

Life outside of teaching has been really exciting as well. I have been able to find a total of 4 leagues to play in. 2 of them are co-ed, and the other 2 are men's. On Wednesday I played for 3 different teams so I can play from about 2 to 4 games on the same night. It is great because it is short sided 6v6. We have some solid teams and we will see how we do in the playoffs. This last Wednesday I was actually able to score a goal by throwing it into the other goal from the box. It was pretty cool to see and the other teams waiting to play thought it was pretty cool too. What made it sweeter is that the team we played was undefeated until we played them. On the other nights that I do not play soccer, I am playing in stake softball. It is fun and I get a good workout but I wish I was a little bit better so that I could help the team out more. It reminds me of the year I played little league except I actually swing the bat this time. (And not at the other team).

A lot has been happening with my life but I am glad to be where I am right now and I miss my family so much. I want to see them and spend some time with them. I never realized how being alone can be so hard at times. I hope that I can continue to keep this blog going and that I am abe to write more about my life since I know that I have missed a lot of things that have happened in my life that I want to tell others.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are going great man! That's so awesome you're settling in so nicely as a teacher, I know Brooke always appreciated your patience while you tried to explain concepts to her. That's a true mark of a good teacher. Sounds like you're getting a nice workout man haha, that's awesome! Keep that up man because whenever you get married and have kids, you will have no time to do pretty much anything but work, play with family, and sleep. Take care buddy! And keep up the writing! It gives you peace of mind and gives bored homework procrastinators something to read! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man but which Brooke are you talking about? It would be nice to know who this is and who is making the comments.

    ReplyDelete