
The first thing that I remember in 2012 occurred at BYU-Idaho. I decided to become a head coach for a futsal team in a league that the school offered. It was the first year that the school had done futsal and so I was really stoked about it. I ran tryouts and I selected my team in drafts. I was excited for my team but I still needed an assistant coach. I was able to pick up Luke ( who I met in craziness the semester before trying to find a tema to play for in intramurals). The team that I selected was not seen as one of the better teams in the league. Alomst every other coach that was in the league told me that I was going to lose every game. The season started off rough with us losing the first 2 games. After those 2 games we went on a winning streak where we did not lose a single game. We ended the regualr season as the 2nd seed and with a first round bye. In our semifinal game we played the Vikings that had beat us earlier in the regular season 12-4. Well this time it was a lot different. We ended the first half tied 0-0 (which is rare for a futsal game). The second half we got a goal early from Erik and then our great Mexican Alfredo blasted a second from half court. We held onto the lead until a penalty was called and the Vikings scored. That was the final goal and we came out withe the win 2-1. Looking at the finals we were set to play the Thunder (who upset the 1st seed in the semifinals 4-2). The finals were set for the following week and to stay the least we were not the favorite in the eyes of everyone else. I had coaches coming up and telling me that they were hoping for my team to lose. I also had a good friend that received and gave a lot of fun smack talk to. The game was actually pretty packed with fans. It was great to see wo many people there. As part of the finals I decided to make warm-up shirts for the team with some great nicknames (Some included "Grandpa", "Nutmeg", "Close but no Cigar", "Thing 1", "Thing 2"). The first half of the game we came out like fire and played really well. We went into the half with a 5-1 lead. During halftime we had a chat and talked about the second half. Everyone on the team had a good feeling and we just knew deep down that we had the game won. The second half became a little tighter and the Thunder got a streak of goals but in the end we left with the Championship winning 7-5. After the game we all talked and my friend told me that "You have strengthened your only weakness that I can find on you and now you are unstoppable". It was a great compliment and I sometimes feel that that is not always true. Here is a picture of one of the saves in the championship game. 

It was a great season and I was honored to coach such a great team. We did not have the best team but the teamwork and the work effort proved to be the catalyst to the season. I would not pick any other team to play with.
The second thing that I remember about this year was the first time that I shot a real gun. My roommates were great gun enthusiasts so one Saturday we decided to go out as a FHE group and shoot pigeons. I had a great time and I had more fun throwing the pigeons. I became the official pigeon thrower once I was done shooting. I did not have great accuracy but I guess it comes with experience.
The third thing that I remember was my graduation from BYU-Idaho. I was at the school for a little over 2 years and I received a bachelor of science in Math Education. It was a great 2 years and I remember all of the fun that I had. I had a great set of classmates that left us with many memories of working late nights trying to finish our proofs in geometry or trying to understand those crazy differential equations. I also remember all of the fun I had meeting new people and playing soccer. I actually met 2 of my cousins while attending that I never met while growing up (I have to apologize to my one cousin for breaking her table). I still had to do my student teaching in the fall but on December 14, 2012 I official became a graduate. Now it is on to the adult life like my mom loves to say.
The last thing and probably the most memorable was the wedding of my twin brother. I know that I talked a lot about it in one of my previous posts but I just wanted to mention it again. It was great to see and I wish them a lot of happiness over the years.
Finally, I want to just mention some things that I have thought about as I review what I went through this year. The biggest thing that I think about is the pain and stress that I have experienced this year. I have not had the greatest luck with finding a girl that wants to be with me and that wants to get to know me. I have found a lot of friends but nothing more than that. It really got me stressed and left in a lot of pain, but as I mentioned in my other posts, I have found relief in knowing that I can still be happy without that in my life. I look to take that into 2013 and just be the person that I know I am, and not wait for something to happen that seems to begin but eventually for one reason or the other falls apart. My life is only happy if I choose to make it happy. I don't need the disappointment of people breaking my heart. 2013 is a year that I will start to devlop a teaching career and start trying to make a difference in the lives of the students I teach. I LOVE every minute of it and i will not stop teaching until it is no longer enjoyable to me. To all my family (extended and immediate), and friends I want to say HAPPY NEW YEAR and I hope that it is as enjoyable as it can be. I look forward to it!



No comments:
Post a Comment